We believe that Physical Education (P.E) has a vital role to play in our children's development.
It not only improves health, reduces stress and improves concentration, but also promotes correct physical growth and development.
Exercise has a positive influence on academic achievement, emotional stability and interaction with others.
Through sport and other physical activities our children will learn about their responsibilities both as individuals and members of groups and teams. At Petts Hill Primary School, children learn to cooperate and to compete fairly, understanding their own and other’s roles.
Our aim is that; through physical education we teach and develop physical competence, an appreciation of skilled and creative performances, understanding of basic principles of ‘fair play’ and improve inter personal skills.
We will achieve the above through:
- Following a broad and balanced PE curriculum fulfilling the requirements of the National Curriculum.
- Working in partnership with the Willow Tree Sports partnership to strengthen the teaching of PE through high quality CPD.
- Following the Create development Real PE schemes of work and programmes.
- Following the Create Development Real Gym schemes of work and programmes.
- Developing the fitness of the individual, by ensuring a good pace in lessons and incorporating fitness activities into physical education lessons as appropriate.
- Support children’s development of fine motor control by following the Primary Movement Programme
- Provide children with swimming lessons that target getting every child moving on to secondary school to be able to swim 25m and have basic water skills.•
- Making adaptions to our PE provision so all children can make good progress from their starting point.
- Provide enjoyable experiences, where positive attitudes of sensitivity, leadership, co-operation, competition and tolerance can develop.
In addition to the school curriculum our students compete in a range of Borough competitions, sports festivals and local cluster fixtures taking place at regular intervals during the appropriate season.
Along with the large variety of physical activity within the curriculum we also offer a range of after school clubs such as:
We are proud to have achieved the School Games Silver Award for our work with our KS2 children in providing them with increased high quality P.E. opportunities and a wide range of after school clubs and competitions.
Children also have the opportunity to join one or more of the sports clubs. Children who want to develop their sporting interests further have the chance to be selected for one of the school teams and play in local leagues.
The government has provided additional funding to support the work of P.E in schools.