At Petts Hill we believe that physical activity not only improves health, reduces stress and improves concentration, but also promotes correct physical growth and development.
Exercise has a positive influence on academic achievement, emotional stability and interaction with others.
Through sport and other physical activities our children will learn about their responsibilities both as individuals and members of groups and teams. They learn to cooperate and to compete fairly, understanding their own and other’s roles.
Our aim is that; through physical education we teach and develop physical competence, an appreciation of skilled and creative performances, and understanding of basic principles of ‘fair play’ and improve inter personal skills.
Petts Hill Primary School will achieve the above through:
- Following a broad and balanced PE curriculum fulfilling the requirements of the National Curriculum. We deliver PE lessons using the real PE curriculum, by Create Development.
- We deliver 2 hours physical activity each week through our PE curriculum. In addition in KS2 we provide a range of extra-curricular sports activity via our allocated Sports premium.
- Developing the fitness of the individual, by ensuring a good pace in lessons and incorporating fitness activities into physical education lessons as appropriate.
- Enable children to track their own achievement and progress using the Create development wheel which works alongside the real PE curriculum.
- Integrating, where possible, into other curriculum areas. Eg, use of athletics data in maths & ICT.
- Developing programmes that meet the needs of all the children, providing equal opportunities.
- Making allowances for children with disabilities and medical conditions, taking into account children with special needs, through modified classroom programmes.
Provide enjoyable experiences, where positive attitudes of sensitivity, leadership, co-operation, competition and tolerance may develop.
In addition to the school curriculum our students compete in a range of Borough competitions, sports festivals and local cluster fixtures taking place at regular intervals during the appropriate season.
Along with the large variety of physical activity within the curriculum we also offer a range of after school clubs to children in KS2 using Sports Pupil Premium funding.
The range of clubs can vary term by term but includes clubs such as:
- Tag Rugby