Y5/6 South America
We are learning about humans and in particular:
- To describe the changes as humans develop from birth to old age;
- To explain the differences in the life cycles of a mammal, an amphibian, an insect and a bird;
- To describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.
We are learning about the Mayan civilisation c.AD 900 and in particular:
- What life was like at that time and place, including buildings, trade, education and the number system;
- Comparing life there with British history.
:We are learning about South America and in particular:
- To locate the world’s countries, using maps to focus on Europe (including the location of Russia) and North and South America, concentrating on their environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, countries, and major cities;
- To describe and understand key aspects of physical geography, including: climate zones, biomes and vegetation belts, rivers, mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes, and the water cycle;
- To human geography, including: types of settlement and land use, economic activity including trade links, and the distribution of natural resources including energy, food, minerals and water;
- To use maps, atlases, globes and digital/computer mapping to locate countries and describe features studied;
- To use the eight points of a compass, four and six-figure grid references, symbols and key (including the use of Ordnance Survey maps) to build their knowledge of the United Kingdom and the wider world.
We are learning about South American art and in particular:
- To pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design;
- To create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas;
- To improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay] about great artists, architects and designers in history.
We are learning about textiles and in particular:
- To use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or groups;
- To generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design;
- To select from and use a wider range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their functional properties and aesthetic qualities;
- To evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work;
- To understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
We are learning about dishes linked to South America and in particular:
- understand seasonality, and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed
We are learning about seeds of unity and in particular:
- To learn that seeds have been used in several traditions and understand that seeds can symbolise their own potential;
- To talk about a plant that is important to them and/or their family or religion;
- To describe the occasion that features this plant/food and how it differs from other times when they eat this food/see this plant;
- To talk about how this ritual makes them feel part of a group, e.g. family, friends, religious community;
- To make links between this plant and their beliefs or the beliefs of their family;
- To compare the way they use this plant on a special occasion with other rituals involving plants.
Year 5 Computing
We are learning about communication, collaboration and productivity:
5.5 We are bloggers – sharing experiences and opinions by learning:
- To become familiar with blogs as a medium and a genre of writing;
- To create a sequence of blog posts on a theme;
- To incorporate additional media;
- To comment on the posts of others;
- To develop a critical, reflective view of a range of media, including text.
5.6 We are architects – Creating a virtual space by learning:
- To understand the work of architects, designers and engineers working in 3D;
- To develop familiarity with a simple CAD (computeraided design) tool;
- To develop spatial awareness by exploring and experimenting with a 3D virtual environment;
- To develop greater aesthetic awareness.
Year 6 Computing
We are learning about programming and creativity and in particular:
6.5 We are app developers – planning the creation of a mobile app by learning:
- To become familiar with another programming toolkit or development platform;
- To import existing media assets to their project;
- To write down the algorithms for their app;
- To program, debug and refine the code for their app;
- To thoroughly test and evaluate their app.
6.6 We are marketers – creating video and web copy for a mobile phone app by learning:
- To consider key marketing messages, including identifying a unique selling point;
- To develop a printed flyer or brochure incorporating text and images;
- To further develop knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to creating a website;
- To further develop skills relating to shooting and editing video.